Let me introduce you to Trinity Hutley

Let me introduce you to Trinity Hutley

The automotive sector is for everyone. It doesn’t matter what your background is, it doesn’t matter what your ambitions are, there’s a place for you.

Sales and technicians are the go-to roles, but automotive stretches far beyond that into Finance, IT, HR, communications and so much more. There are more than 200 different roles in automotive retail alone, so the only limit is your imagination and determination.

You only need to look at the stars coming into the sector to see what’s possible.

Take Trinity Hutley. The IMI Student of the Year’s enthusiasm for automotive hasn’t been dampened by the challenge of dyslexia and being one of the relatively few females as she takes her next steps at Barnfield College. In fact, it’s probably made her more determined to succeed.

You can hear more from Trinity in the next issue of MotorPro magazine (that’ll be landing very soon) where she makes this important point:

“There are undoubtedly opportunities for women in the industry, but when 16% of employees in automotive are female and the other 84% are male, it’s clearly difficult for women to get their foot in the door.”

The IMI’s Diversity Task Force is doing brilliant work to boost inclusion, but that’s just a start. We all have a part to play in making sure that talented people such as Trinity don’t turn somewhere else for their career opportunities.

It’s a huge task and we’re all part of the change. Please get in touch and tell us what you’re doing to drive the sector forward – or indeed if you want our support with your own career. Call +44 (0)1992 519025, or send an email to hello@theimi.org.uk.

With my very best wishes