Total Qualification Time
Guided Learning Hours
VRQ, NVQ, VCQ
Who is it suitable for?
This knowledge and skills qualification (VRQ) is primarily designed to meet the needs of the young apprentice. It suits school & college students (and leavers) who wish to join the automotive industry.
It provides learners with the opportunity to study both the theory and practical aspects of a range of routine vehicle inspection, fitting and maintenance procedures:
- Routine light vehicle maintenance, including engine systems.
- Inspecting, repairing and replacing light vehicle: standard and high performance tyres.
- Carrying out light vehicle four wheel alignment.
- Inspecting and replacing light vehicle: exhaust components, suspension dampers & springs, vehicle batteries and braking systems & components.
- Learners also gain a broad knowledge and understanding of health and safety in the workplace, agreeing customer vehicle needs and other skills associated with working in a garage.
This qualification offers the opportunity for progression onto:
- a full IMI SSC L2 Apprenticeship – or one of its component qualifications, e.g. a L2 Light Vehicle Technical Certificate
- a Vocational Competence Qualification (VCQ) for those who are employed.
The assessment is made up of two components:
- Practical tasks
- Online testing
Want to know more?
Please contact an IMI approved centre.
View this qualification on the Register of Regulated Qualifications